Saturday, April 14, 2018

This week at the library; or, More stuff happens

Happening this week
  • Monday
    • Sensory Playgroup
    • Tiny Tots
    • Department Head Meeting
    • Worked 12-8
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
    • Worked 9-5
  • Thursday
    • Books 'n' Babies
    • Library on the Go: OPtions
    • Art Fest
    • Worked 12-7:30
  • Friday
    • Maker Workshop: Sewing machines
    • Anime Club
    • Worked 10-6:30
Something went wrong with the furnace and hot water spurted everywhere! Fortunately, everything I had stored in that area was in plastic bags or was just recycled cardboard. I mostly finished going through the children's cds. I think to get them to circulate we have to change the cases, so you can see what we actually have. But that's a lot of cases! I'm waiting for our tech services manager to get back and I'll see what she thinks. 

I really need to finish the highly complex summer schedule, especially for staffing. I will have 3 aides, with about 10 hours each, 2 associates, one with 21 hours and one with 8, and everybody has to be at the exact right place for programs, shelving, etc. I'll also have volunteers, but they are not.... dependable. Mostly middle schoolers who can only put forth concerted effort for about an hour and need supervision. So it's complicated and there always seems to be a slot left uncovered. I need a chunk of time to just do this and nothing else, but I keep getting interrupted! I spent 5 hours on this on Wednesday and FINISHED! I told my staff to give me at least one day before sending in mistakes or changes...

Our three elementary schools traditionally put up a display of art at the library. The school sends over 4 big art boards and I clear space for 3-D objects on the shelves. Once the art is up, we have an "open night" where I provide cookies, the art teachers come, and hundreds of parents and grandparents flood in to see the art. This year, our charter school wanted to participate and sent over some art. Unfortunately, there was no art board to go with it! I rigged one up from a big piece of cardboard and I think it worked well. I put out some art materials in the storyroom and lots of kids stopped by to make something. I might make that a little more organized in future; I had to rush b/c I had just had a very large book club meeting. We also combined with the adult art fest, which has live music and our local art foundation. They got fairly good attendance and several parents purchased items there as well. We might rearrange things a little next year and make sure our times coincide.

I'm going to write up more details about this year's sewing machine workshops later. They went well - one more next week.

No comments: