Saturday, March 4, 2017

This week at the library; or, What if I did Dr. Seuss in July?

What's Happening
  • Monday
    • Sensory Playgroup
    • Tiny Tots
    • Meetings and program planning. More meetings. Why are there so many meetings?
  • Tuesday
    • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions)
    • Very busy. We are in an upswing of naughty teen behavior, which is always trying.
  • Wednesday
    • Winter Wigglers Obstacle Course
    • Outreach Storytimes: Chomp! Let's Eat! (4 sessions)
    • It's snaining, naturally, since I have never yet done a Dr. Seuss program without snow in the near vicinity. I wonder what would happen if I did it in July? Probably a tornado. I think I said "Teens in the teen area!" a gazillion times today. And cleaned a toilet.
  • Thursday
  • Friday
Kids Listening To Books
  • "That was an awfully short story" (said after basically every book)
  • Run for your life by Lola Schaefer - we mostly just mentioned each animal briefly and then ran like crazy. I did ask the beginning as a question, "animals that eat animals are..." and all the kids yelled "hungry!"
  • Poor little guy by Elanna Allen. This one went really well - enough knew what a puffer fish was that they passed it on to the others and they all laughed hysterically. Most of them didn't get the switch in perspective though.
  • My awesome summer by P. Mantis - this was too old for the four year olds, but the teachers snickered.
  • Hungry Lion by Ruth Cummins - lots of hysterical laughter and speculation as to what had eaten who at the end of the story.
  • I will not eat you by Adam Lehrhaupt - they told me this was not scary at all, but they liked it anyways. They all decided that Theodore would eat the little boy later.
  • One day in the eucalyptus eucalyptus tree by Daniel Bernstrom. They were very excited to note that this was a rhyming book. They must have been learning about rhymes recently. They all listened quite well to the bouncy rhythms and yelled at the end that there was a crocodile.
  • Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion by Alex T. Smith. I don't think they got the Little Red Riding Hood reference, but they giggled at the lion's mane and were quite interested in the story.

1 comment:

Ms Fictitious said...

I also somehow avoided doing Dr Seuss this year. You joked about it being in July, but I really do wonder if it would be a better summer reading thing.