Saturday, January 21, 2017

This week at the library; or, At least I didn't get stomach flu (yet)

What's happening this week
  • Monday
    • A gloomy day. It was very icy and school was canceled. I came in to work early - I had tried to make it to a visitation for a colleague's husband, but the roads were too bad and work was closer than home. We settled in to our offices and worked since there was really nobody in the library.
  • Tuesday
    • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (Pattie)
    • Rock 'n' Read
    • Everybody came in today to make up for lost time! Very busy, very full, all day long. I need a way to make sure kids who come to book club have working library cards. I can't just sign the books out to them because they come from other libraries...
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
    • Outreach: Animals in the Snow
    • Apparently all the schools have stomach flu. Woo. I did bills, cleaned up after yesterday's science mess, and left early.
  • Saturday
    • Busy, busy, busy, busy, busy.
Projects
  • Dollar General grant for summer reading
  • Easy Readers - weeding in progress.
    • Started work on easy reader section - the giant jump in circulation last year (increase of over 3,000) has had a deteriorating effect on the books and I'm going to be replacing swathes that are torn, stained, scribbled on, or just worn out. I also need additional copies of popular series (I did Elephant & Piggie and Fly Guy last year) and more emergent, low-level readers.
Professional Development
  • Webinar: Spreading the Word: Taking Early Literacy Messages to the Streets with Pamela Martin Díaz and Heather Grady of the Allen County Public Library
Real kids talk about books
  • Angel in my pocket by Ilene Cooper "It had a very happy ending. I think the angel coin made all the magic happen. There were some sad things, but I didn't cry at all."
  • Hundred Horses by Sarah Lean "I haven't finished it - I'm just to the part where the girls are good friends - but I can't wait to find out what happens. I really like it."
  • Wonderful Wizard of Oz (graphic novel edition by Shanower and Young) "this is one of my favorite books. I like it because it's like the book and it's a comic."
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs by Maris Wicks "I learned lots of new things about coral reefs and the fish talking were funny. My favorite thing is the disco clam."
  • Women who broke the rules by Kathleen Krull (Dolley Madison and Judy Blume) "I liked the book about Dolley Madison best because I knew about her." (probably not allowed to read Blume)
  • Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler. A long summary of the story was given, which implied enthusiastic devouring of the story.
  • Wonder by R. J. Palacio "You see the story from different perspectives. I think that's the best way to tell a story."
Reader's Advisory
  • Whatever after - I've got it on an order list somewhere
  • Easy readers
  • Lexiles - something short
  • Bone
  • Katie Woo

No comments: