Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Small Readers: The Cookie Fiasco by Dan Santat

Elephant and Piggie are gone but not forgotten. Mo Willems has started a new imprint, with stories introduced and epilogued by the duo, featuring a variety of fun, well-known authors and illustrators.

One of the first two books is written by Dan Santat, creator of Beekle and other favorites. Hippo, Croc, and the squirrel siblings have a plate of delicious cookies. But there are only three! Someone will not get a cookie! Or will they? Fractions and hilarity ensue.

I have loved Dan Santat ever since I encountered his illustrations in Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies (ask me about the stuffed vampire bunny with hypnotic eyes I sewed) but I have to admit this wasn't all I had hoped for. Is it funny? Yes. Is the addition of fractions subtly and skillfully done? Yes. Are the illustrations and speech bubbles delightfully positioned? Yes. Is it a good easy reader? Well....

Santat's style is colorful with sharp lines and edges but also tends toward the crowded and close-ups. I felt like a lot of the story was shouting in my face and the rapid jumps from capitals to smaller fonts was disconcerting. Also, for readers trying to practice fluency and comprehension, expecting them to pick up on the mathematical concepts is too much.

Verdict: Will kids love this? Absolutely. Should you buy it? Definitely. It's not necessarily what I'd promote as a great easy reader per say though. It will be a better choice as a read-together or for more advanced readers.

ISBN: 9781484726365; Published 2016 by Hyperion; Purchased for the library

No comments: