Saturday, June 4, 2016

This week at the library; or, Summer has begun for all intents and purposes

A couple tigers on field trips to the library
What's happening in my head and at the library
  • Monday - Closed!
  • Tuesday
    • School visit (4 grades)
    • We officially opened registration for summer reading this week and my "big" school visits started this morning, so summer reading has begun even though we won't be marking logs or officially doing programs for a few weeks yet. I went to log on to my computer at work and got this message "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed". A young patron was looking over my shoulder and said "it doesn't want to be friends with you anymore." One of my teen aides offered to counsel us, as she intends to study psychology in college. I said no, since I was feeling a lot of hostility and wasn't in the right frame of mind for an intervention then.
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
    • School visit (6 grades)
    • I was standing from 8:30am until past 12. I am glad I am not a teacher.
  • Friday
    • Outreach at children's festival
    • I worked 12-3 at the information desk, wrote my monthly report, handled a variety of issues, and then went out to a big children's festival. I had already sent my aides out to set up goo (in retrospect I wish I hadn't promised goo until I knew more about what the festival would entail) and another staff member took out tables for us. It was fairly successful - we made a lot of goo and signed up several kids for summer reading and handed out calendars. I'm not sure we'd do it again (and not just because two of us got sunburned. The third person we have renamed she-who-tans-and-smirks and we are not talking to her) because the bulk of people weren't from our town, but it will just depend on the timing I think.

What the kids are reading (expanded school visit edition)
  • Awkward had a lot of fans at school visits, especially when I compared it to Telgemeier
  • I will chomp you was a big hit also, especially when I stopped reading it halfway through
  • MOST POPULAR book by far is Elise Gravel's Head Lice. (I reviewed Worm earlier)
  • All the feels - Booktalking Save me a seat by Gita Varadarajan and Sarah Weeks. Student gasps "That's ME!!"
  • Just Dance 2016 and 2015 on regular Wii
  • Volleyball and swimming (planning on it for new sports books)
  • Minecraft (you can just assume there were a gazillion requests for this all summer from here on out)
  • Pokemon
  • Pendragon
  • Head Lice and Fuku Fuku kitten still the most popular.
  • Science Comics Dinosaurs was requested
  • Awkward got lots of excitement from fans of Smile
  • Warriors, Olympians (O'Hearn), Maximum Ride

No comments: