Saturday, March 19, 2016

This week at the library; or, Is it a full moon and nobody told me?

Humphrey II. He has bitten me twice.
What's going on in my head and at the library
  • Monday
    • Playgroup with Pattie
    • Read with Pearl
    • Tiny Tots (Pattie)
    • I....have no idea what's in the air or weather or what, but we had a lot of VERY strange things happen. Daylight savings? Also a staff meeting. And a meeting with a local community group that runs our only after school place for tweens and teens which went well and we have lots of ideas for future collaboration.
  • Tuesday
    • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (Pattie)
    • March Outreach: Spring Hatchlings (3 sessions)
    • The strangeness continues. I did have a fun last outreach session at school and I did not get any pies thrown at me, so there was that. On of my patrons said our collection was the best they'd ever seen, after many years in large city libraries and another said we always had great choices. WARM FUZZIES!
  • Wednesday
    • We Explore Science: Seeds (Jess)
    • No programs for me today! So I had a summer reading meeting. Woo. And lots of work at the desk and a visit from the special needs school.
  • Thursday
    • Books 'n' Babies
    • Lego Club
    • Meetings to discuss the gardens, weeding, and a tiny group at Lego Club, probably due to the nice weather.
  • Friday
    • Hammie II has passed beyond this mortal ken, he has traveled to the great hamster wheel in the sky, he has gone where no man can follow. He is an ex-hamster. I cleaned out the hamster cage, worked on collection development for a couple hours, grabbed some lunch, then went to Wal-Mart and to Petsmart to buy Humphrey II. Then I locked Humphrey, my cell phone, and my keys in the car. (possibly I will get some good karma from finding someone's debit card in the parking lot as I searched for my keys?) Then I waited for rescue (at least I finally remembered to leave a spare key at work...) then I moved Humphrey into his new home (it will need some adjustment, I couldn't get all the pieces back together correctly) wrote a FB eulogy for Hammie, finished up some misc. stuff and went to the grocery store. I finally got home at 5 and realized I'd forgotten to buy mushrooms. Am now at home wondering what the heck I did with my dirty tupperware from lunch. I cannot find it anywhere. Phew. So much for half-days!
  • Saturday
    • Blessedly quiet day. More or less. I'm going to tempt fate and post this now at 12:45, even though we don't close until 2.
Projects in Progress or Completed
  • Weeding and Collection Development in progress
What the kids are reading: A selection
  • My faithful reader is almost finished with the Alice books. We looked at some other titles - Hilary McKay's Caddy Ever After, Katie Finn's Unfriended series. She also took some of Natasha Friend's books. She would really like a read-alike for Lauren Myracle's ttyl series but I haven't come up with one yet. I think she might like novels in verse, but it's hard to find light-hearted ones and she's not really into the really intense stuff. Maybe Sonya Sones.
  • Snow White
  • Books on maps for a young child - went with Kids Can Press Follow that map which was perfect.
  • Dr. Seuss
  • books on Samoyeds
  • mysteries - turned out she actually wanted scary stories.gave her a lot of suggestions and she took Poblocki and Preller
  • manners - found one in the teen section. Never had a kid ask for that before...
  • service dogs
  • dork diaries
  • nancy drew
  • junie b. jones
  • spirit animals audio (another library has them)
  • transitional chapter books
  • Sonic and Mario books - might be able to find some more Sonic comics
  • zombie books
  • more resources for children with autism like Point to Happy. I put some of the learning aids I'd gotten on hold. I'm also waiting for a parent who promised to donate some items.
  • Mystery - London Eye, CSI Club, Mac Barnett, Encyclopedia Brown. Took London Eye.
  • Owl diaries, which I just got!
  • Inside Out
  • Return of the Indian. well....we have them. It's certainly not one I'm going to buy new copies of though.

No comments: