Monday, November 18, 2013

Nonfiction Monday: Sneaky Art by Marthe Jocelyn

This book is full of adorable crafts, most of them miniature, that you can hide or otherwise use to pleasantly surprise people.

The introduction cautions the reader that the art should not be vandalism or graffiti, that's it not permanent, messy, or damaging. Most of the projects can be done with just a few simple things like paper, scissors and glue. The artistry lies in the placement and presentation.

There are several projects involving leaving collage faces, tags, and speech balloons in various places, including libraries. Yarn bombing is briefly referenced and there are a number of suggestions for miniatures.

The photographs are bright and cheerful and the projects very clearly arranged with suggestions on where to leave the projects, materials needed, how to make it, and any additional sneaky instructions on placement that are needed. There are some templates on the endpapers.

After reviewing in my mind my patrons, I don't think I'd put this book in the general collection. I can see the warning about graffiti going right over their heads. It's also spiral-bound, which won't last long. However, there are quite a few projects I'd like to do with the middle schoolers and as stealth programs. One I especially liked was having kids write book recommendations on speech balloons and stick them in books. I think the middle schoolers would have the dexterity to make a lot of the miniature crafts and since they usually don't want to take what they make home, would enjoy hiding them in the library for littler kids to find.

Verdict: Probably not something for the general collection, but I'd buy it for my professional collection and will do so as soon as I have the money.

ISBN: 9780763656485; Published 2013 by Candlewick; Borrowed from another library in my consortium; Added to the library's tentative order list for my professional collection

No comments: