Saturday, April 14, 2012

This week at the library; or, The eggs have arrived!

Monday - Not as crazy as I expected after four days off, although the phone was ringing off the hook. Staff meeting, and the eggs arrived. Of course I had trouble setting up the incubator and egg experts immediately started appearing out of the woodwork. Funny, all their advice entails a heck of a lot more work for me and directly contradicts someone else's advice! Hopefully the temperature and humidity will level out.

Tuesday - Day of busyness. Incubator was at OMG 75!! when I came in this morning. Hopefully the eggs survived and it seems to have leveled out and be working fine now.


Wednesday - Day of extreme busyness. Preschool Interactive in the morning and then our big program in the afternoon. Woody's Reading Round-Up was a collaborative program with our school district's Parent Connections. This is our second "big" collaboration program - last year we did a Royal Wedding Party. I'm still figuring out the best way to get everything streamlined and working, but it went really well. The library (with funds from United Way) purchased a petting zoo and supplied space and craft materials (crayons, markers, glitter, etc.) while Miss Pattie and her army of volunteers cut out craft projects, made party favors, amazing photo ops cardboard cutouts, etc. etc. The live music didn't show up (teens - they forgot it was today!) but we had about 200 people so I doubt anyone could have heard music over the din.


Thursday - busyness continues. Informal meeting with director about storytime. Program meeting. Suddenly remembering I had a program. Only one more Elephant and Piggie to go! I might try E&P on a smaller scale in the fall - maybe starting at 3:45. I'm just too busy to handle it right now though. We're just reading stories, mostly me trying out books I've borrowed from other libraries. Today's trials:
  • Duckling gets a cookie by Mo Willems
  • How many jelly beans by Andrea Menotti
  • Martina the beautiful cockroach by Carmen Agra Deedy
  • Wolf won't bite by Emily Gravett
  • And then it's spring by Julie Fogliano
  • Frog and Fly by Jeff Mack
We made three dimensional paper rainbows from TeachPreschool and played with puppets. Only 12 people came. Hit by sudden wave of exhaustion that evening, probably due to only having scored one meal so far this day.

Friday - Half day, because I'm working tomorrow. Trying to get a start on summer reading.

Saturday - Too busy to think, but I did get a few things done (in addition to answering a gazillion questions, talking to kids, talking to parents, troubleshooting computers and printers, and putting together projects for my aide.

No comments: