Monday, January 23, 2012

ALA Awards, because everybody is doing it

So why not?

Newbery - Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos
I reviewed this back in November. It's interesting, but will not appeal to a wide range of children. In other words, it's a Newbery winner.

Newbery Honors - Inside out and back again by Thanhha Lai
Yep, called it. I had this on my list of award books I will have to order. At least it's got a pretty cover. Verse novels for younger grades are rarely popular.
Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin
I'll buy it. I feel kind of doubtful about it, but I'll buy it. I do appreciate that it's only 140 pages long, which offsets yet another historical fiction title.

Caldecott - Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka
Yes! We own it! It's very cute.

Caldecott Honors - Blackout by John Rocco
We own it. Gorgeous!
Grandpa Green by Lane Smith
I will buy this, but I RESENT it. This is not a book for children, it's an adult book. Grrr.
Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell
Yep, had it on the list of probably winners. Still feel kind of doubtful about it, especially since I am not a fan of picture book biographies, especially those for the very young, but oh well.

Printz - Where things come back by John Whaley
Ok, that was out of left field. I'm not much of a teen reader anyways, but I don't remember seeing this ANYWHERE. Will buy it.

Printz Honor - Why we broke up by Daniel Handler
Called it! I just ordered that in January because I was pretty sure it would win something.
Returning by Christine Hinwood
Got that through my Junior Library Guild order. It was interesting, definitely for an older, more mature audience.
Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
YES YES YES!!! This book is already hugely popular and I've skimmed it and it's gorgeous.

Coretta Scott King - They don't circulate. I don't buy them. And, yep, they're all historical, and nearly all civil rights.

Schneider - No award for 0 - 8 (I can see that - the picture books that are turned out for young children with disabilities are often...painful. I don't recall anything this past year that was award-worthy either)
Middle grade - Close to famous by Joan Bauer
That one went on and off the order list quite a few times. I'll put it on for good now. Huh, I don't remember it having anything....oh, learning disability. Ok.
Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
We own it of course.
Teen - Running Dream by Wendelin van Draanen
Another one that got bumped off my order list, but I'll go ahead and add it back on. Teens like stories of triumphing over disabilities. And I can buy it in paperback!

Alex Awards - I don't pay much attention to these. I'll send the list to our director, who buys the adult fiction.

Andrew Carnegie Medal - Otherwise known as the Weston Woods Award, went, of course, to Weston Woods for "Children make terrible pets." I don't buy these - they're horribly overpriced and don't circulate much.

Margaret A. Edwards - I'm pleased to see Susan Cooper win this, but she has sadly declined in popularity and audience. That awful movie didn't help either. Oh well, I still love her.

Mildred L. Batchelder  - Soldier Bear by Bibi Tak
Uh...no. It looked pretty but it was too weird. I still think the best anti-war book is No Hero for the Kaiser.
Honor - Lily Pond by Annika Thor
I didn't end up buying Faraway Island, so won't buy this sequel, although it looks interesting.

Odyssey - I have almost no budget for audio books. When I do buy them, it's either classics (replacing cassettes) or new, popular series.

Pura Belpre (Illustrator) - Diego Rivera, His world and ours by Duncan Tonatiuh
I do NOT agree with this choice. I reviewed this for Cybils and was NOT impressed.

Honors - The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden Stirred illustrated by Rafael López, written by Samantha R. Vamos
I read it and it has great illustrations, but I need folktales I can tell in storytime and there aren't enough bilingual children in my storytime to get the Spanish words.
Marisol McDonald Doesn’t Match /Marisol McDonald no combina, illustrated by Sara Palacios, written by Monica Brown
This one is very cute and accessible to a wide range of audiences - I was thinking about buying it and I'll go ahead and get it now. Or I would if it hadn't disappeared from my vendor...ah, out of stock. Ok then, get it later.

Pura Belpre (Author) - Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall
Verse novel, including Spanish words...hmm, I'll get it although I doubt any kids around here know what mesquite is.

Honors - Hurricane Dancers: The First Caribbean Pirate Shipwreck, written by Margarita Engle
It's got a great cover, but Engle's books have not circulated well in the past. I will read it myself and then decide. Oh. It's in verse. Hmmm, a historical novel in verse. Uh, nope. I might still look at it myself though.
Maximilian and the Mystery of the Guardian Angel: A Bilingual Lucha Libre Thriller by Xavier Garza
No. The cover looks oddly amateur.

Robert F. Sibert - Balloons over Broadway by Melissa Sweet
I thought about this one on and off, but wanted to wait and see if it actually won an award. Now I'll buy it.

Honors - Black & White: The Confrontation between Reverend Fred L. Shuttlesworth and Eugene ‘Bull’ Connor' by Larry Dane Brimner
Totally missed this one...hmmm, I bought We Called Ourselves the KKK and I don't think we need this one as well.
Drawing from Memory," written and illustrated by Allen Say
Allen Say's picture books don't check out much. I don't think this will be of interest to my patrons. Nope.
The Elephant Scientist by Donna M. Jackson
Yay Scientists in the Field!!! I hadn't bought this one yet, b/c I got some other titles first, but now I'll add it to the list.
Witches!: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem by Rosalyn Schanzer
Ehhh, I can't make up my mind about this one. I will read it myself and see if we should have it or not. I'm not sure if the illustrations make it more interesting, or less.

Stonewall - Not a lot of call for GLBTQ books here. I've bought several things this past year to fill out this area in the collection and don't need any more.

Theodor Seuss Geisel  - Can we please rename it the Mo Willems? Come, you know you want to! Tales for Very Picky Eaters by Josh Schneider.
Ok, totally missed that one! I think I have it on a tr list somewhere, but that's it. Will buy it, although I think it might actually go in our picture book section...?

Honors - I broke my trunk by Mo Willems
Of course, of course.
I want my hat back by Jon Klassen
Huh. That's a surprise. I'm still not convinced, but patrons actually asked for it so it's on the order list now.
See me run by Paul Meisel
I don't like Holiday House's I like to read series b/c they're the wrong format for easy readers, but I'll get this anyways and put it in picture books, like I have with some of their other titles.

William C. Morris -  Where things come back by John Whaley
Wow. For a debut author he really started with a bang!

Honors - Girl of fire and thorns by Rae Carson
Just bought it! Already have teens asking for it.
Paper covers rock by Jenny Hubbard
Why do I feel like she's written something else? Will move this from a distant order list to the current list.
Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
I was thinking I should really buy this and then realized our director had bought it and put it in adult fiction. Fine by me.

YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults - I don't buy much "serious" nonfiction for the teens, but usually titles on this list I'd put in juvbut I'll look at what they've got...

The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism &Treachery by Steve Sheinkin
All right! I bought this and put it in juvenile. I love Sheinkin's books!

Finalists
Sugar Changed the World: A Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom and Science by Marc Aronson
Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition by Karen Blumenthal
Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom (With a Few Flat Tires Along the Way) by Sue Macy
Music Was It: Young Leonard Bernstein by Susan Goldman Rubin
I've read the first three and the fourth is on my tr list. All interesting and well-written, but of limited interest to my patrons. These longer nonfiction books are hard to sell, so I probably won't buy them.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You may be surprised about Inside Out and Back Again. I've been book talking it to 4th graders and it is probably the most requested title of all the Historical Fiction titles I book talked. Now if they enjoy it is another matter, but they really like the story, and the poem I read from it.

As for the Tales for Very Picky Eaters it is pretty long for an easy reader, it also has stories or "chapters" so if you have a transitional reader section this might fit there.

Jennifer said...

Really? I once had a sudden interest by 5th grade girls in novels in verse - sparked by Eileen Spinelli - but they grew up and it never happened again. The cover is awfully attractive though, so I think it has a good chance.

Ha, no I have a picture book section and an easy reader section and my patrons are deeply disturbed by anything that doesn't "fit" on the easy reader shelf, inspiring frequent visits to the reference desk with "library lady, this book is in the wrong place"